Blog

Meeting Of The Board Of Trustees - 08/26/2017

Minutes of the Lake St. Catherine Association's fourth and final meeting of the 2017 season.

The Trustees gave their reports on many topics - Click here to see the full meeting agenda. Meeting minutes compiled by Elaine Bagley.

August 26th 2017 Meeting of the Lake St. Catherine Board of Trustees
Lake St. Catherine Country Club, 8:30 AM

Present: Jim Canders, Mary Jo Teetor, Bob Williams, Frank Callahan, Phil Pope, Rand Burgner, Jerremy Jones, John Belnavis, Elaine Bagley, Ed Laird, Ken Abt, Rob Nesbit
Absent: Rob Goldman, Jeff Crandall, Bill McLaughlin

Jim started the meeting with some announcements:

• Expressed appreciation to Bill McLaughlin for his dedication and many years of service to the LSCA

• Discussed new Trustee, Martha Pofit, who was unable to attend today

• Appreciation for Ellen and Martin Greenberg and their dedication to the LSCA. Camp has sold, LSCA paperwork collected, will be sorted and organized.

• Shared positive comments about Annual Meeting, praise for food, organization and presentation.

I. Secretary’s Report, July 22nd, 2017 minutes accepted

II. Treasurer’s Report submitted by Elaine Bagley

III. Annual Meeting: John B. reports that around 70 people attended the annual meeting. 5 or 6 people did not eat, 10 to 12 had the prime rib. The bar did well. Facility fee used to tip the staff. Discussed coordinating the prime rib better with a more visible ticket.

IV. Milfoil Committee Report - Jeff C. unable to attend, Jim gave his report. This season, we have accomplished our goal of using less herbicide and more suction harvesting. Report is in, will be shared with the board. Need to know Beck and Owen’s availability for next year. They do a much better job than previous contractors. State has a director talking to lakes about not using herbicide. We started in 2004 with Sonar and have been spot treating each year since. Lake Hortonia wants to get a permit based on our program - wondering how to word it for the state to approve. Our permit is up this fall - need to write a new permit. Other discussion included, concern of continuing to cut back on herbicide, confusion of some on the lake between milfoil and native weeds, complaint about noise from suction harvester, LSCCF’s new confusing brochure & state funding - Mary Jo will start a LSCA response. Jim will contact Perry Thomas. The survey from SOLitude Lake Management is being written now, ask Marc Bellaud to join us for a meeting with the State and Perry Thomas. Lots of milfoil fragments in the channel and Little Lake - not captured by the harvester? Boat Launch Monitoring: Rand reports that the State feels our program is a model. All 3 greeters will return in 2018. Rand will be retiring next year, John B stepped up to take over. Greeters will work 4 days over Labor Day Weekend, Friday through Monday.

V. Water Quality - Mary Jo reports no e-coli testing, other tests weekly. Big problem is funding for channel into Lily Pond - permit was approved. $35k total with SOLitude Lake Management. Would start September 18th for 10 days. July storm made a mess. Motion to fund the project. Healthy discussion about using funds in reserve without first collecting additional funds. Suggestions to reach out to Lily Pond property owners, coordinating a gathering of property owners, reaching out to membership. Vote called, 10-2 in favor of proceeding with project, motion passed.

VI. Publicity - Jerremy handed out newsletters, mentioned spring edition, will need content. Newsletters delivered to local businesses. 180+ views of online edition. Suggested creating a LSCA brochure for local businesses, boat launch greeters, cost approximately 50 cents per copy. Mentioned Poultney chili cookoff, having a LSCA booth. Discussed business memberships for next year - would give businesses a logo on our Sponsors page, an ad in the newsletter, a mention on our blog, posting their events on our calendar. Board decided on $250 for this membership level. Will solicit businesses in the fall and winter.

VII. Lake Safety - Frank mentioned that Hall’s Bay buoy missing - may have been tampered with. Sunken island cones found and replaced. Buoys will be picked up after Labor Day. Frank and Mike collected LSCA paperwork from Ellen and Mart’s Camp, Jerremy will sort and organize.

VIII. Nominating Committee - Bob reports that we are still looking for a Recording Secretary Trustee, Rand is retiring, Elaine & John staying on, will be looking for new potential Trustees.

IX. Membership - Rob was not at the meeting

X. Government Relations - Phil reports that Phil Donaldson has been very cooperative, and they have straightened out most of the paperwork. Phil will remind Paul about the 38k.

XI. Old business: Boat parade well advertised and featured online and in the newsletter. Wells Day - was so-so, Poultney Day, lots of folks stopped by. Discussed a new Lake map with updated camp locations and 911 addresses.

XII. New business: Discussed a welcome packet for new lake property owners that local realtors can hand out. Ed discussed cyber liability insurance. Jerremy will set up a call with StarChapter. Board voted to purchase insurance if needed.

Meeting schedule for 2018:

May 26th, 2018
June 23rd, 2018
July 21st, 2018
August 25th, 2018

Meeting adjourned.

Return to list

0 Comments